The biggest threat to the Everglades is the fact that so many of us are dangerously diconnected from it.Luca Martinez
Luca Martinez is a nature and wildlife photographer and videographer from Miami, FL. It was likely destined, as Luca wanted to be outside from sunrise to sunset when he was a little boy. He couldn’t wait to be in nature and growing up in South Florida meant he could be outdoors almost every day of the year.
His love for ospreys took him to the Everglades where he’s been shooting regularly for the past three years. Lost for hours and days at a time, he draws inspiration from the subtropical wilderness among the grasses, cypress trees, and wildlife. Luca spent months wading through remote cypress domes and sloughs. It was the crystal-clear water and vibrant green aquatic plants that kept him going back. But only seeing it from above wasn’t enough. His curiosity took him below the surface where he realized the world underwater in the Everglades is just as extraordinary and alive as its dry reflection.
Luca has introduced the beauty of a rarely experienced Everglades to more than 110 million worldwide viewers through viral cinematic videos on social media, primarily on Instagram and Tik Tok. Both platforms have proven to be instrumental in reaching his generation and cutting through the clutter to raise awareness about conservation and inspire action. Through his videos and photography Luca captures not just the beauty of the Everglades and our wild places but also shares the threats and demonstrates their impact on our ecosystems.
When he’s not out in the field, Luca gives talks about the wonders of the wetlands where he takes the audience through his experiences diving in cypress domes and photographing wildlife.
LEADERSHIP AND ACHIEVEMENTS
Recognition & Media Appearances
• Oceanographic Magazine Issue #28, A Different Kind of Wild; Byline, Luca Martinez. January 2023
• NBC Nightly News Kids Edition with Lester Holt, January 19, 2023
• Recognized among 28 Youth Voices Making a Difference. Everglades Foundation Magazine (Cover Feature), 2022
• “A Teenage Photographer… with a Goal of Preservation” Flamingo Magazine feature article
• WSVN Channel 7 Spotlight Segment, Nov 2022
• FOX Weather interview, Wild, August 2022 Interview Link
• Interview on WLRN, Sundial, Wildlife Thursday, April 2022 Interview link
• “National History Museum Youth Photographer of the Year” two-time finalist
• Center for Great Apes Photography Contest Winner and Exhibition 2019
Environmental and Conservation Speaker
• Luca gives talks around the country and at schools about the importance of the Everglades, experiences in the Everglades and what we can do to help conserve and protect it. Recent events include:
– The Society of the Four Arts Chasing Wild Lecture with National Geographic Explorer/Photographer Mac Stone, November 2022
– The Everglades Foundation Teacher Symposium, 2022
– Out of Chicago Conference, 2021
– Local community and school events and panels
• Certified CLEO speaker for the CLEO Institute: Speaking to students about the climate crisis education and advocacy. • • • Working to build climate literacy and mobilize climate action.
Conservation Filmmaking and Photography
• Create and publish nature photos and cinematic videos of our Florida wetlands. Has introduced the beauty of the Everglades to 100+ million viewers globally
• Film contributor to nature conservation documentaries.
• Featured photographs and videos in the Everglades ‘River of Grass‘ Exhibit in UNESCO’s World Heritage Collection on the Google Arts & Culture Platform
• Everglades Foundation and UNESCO partnership for the UNESCO World Heritage Collection digital exhibit.
• The Palm Beaches ecotourism collaboration